Wednesday, September 17, 2008

One of my favorite things

Fresh peaches. And since they are in season, I can’t seem to get enough of them. This past weekend Sean and I were in Idaho Falls for my grandma’s 90th birthday party and my aunt brought a giant box of peaches for all to share. I grabbed a grocery sack full since I’ve been wanting to make a fresh peach pie for weeks now (seriously ask my friends who saw me every day this summer). I must admit this was the first time I had ever attempted making pie crust from scratch. Pie crust is one of those things you hear horror stories about… My mom's recipe is awesome, but she makes it in bulk. Anyway, I used this recipe from Food Network and it surprisingly turned out well.

Here is the final result:



It may not look like much, but it was dang good! My mom (and now I) swear by this recipe which came from her aunt Florence. Also, I am a firm believer in using REAL whipped cream for something like this-- as in buy heavy whipping cream and whip it yourself with a hand mixer! With peach season wrapping up soon, I’ll be transitioning to my pumpkin obsession so watch out!

Florence's Peach Pie
Sauce:
2 peaches, sliced fine
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. cornstarch
2/3 cup water
pinch salt
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 t. almond extract
1 T. butter

8 or so sliced peaches to fill pie crust
1 9" baked piecrust, cooled
whipping cream

Combine all sauce ingredients (except butter) in a sauce pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Add more water if too thick. After sauce is thickened, remove from heat and stir in 1 T. butter until melted. Cool slightly. Fill pie shell with fresh sliced peaches. Pour glaze over fruit and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours. Top with whipped cream and nutmeg if desired.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

That looks so good and I am so happy to have the recipe!!! Yum Yum Yum.....I can almost taste it. Almost!

Lauren and the kidlets said...

That's soo funny right now I'm in a peach frenzy!!! haha! there are some bonuses to being prego right now! ;)
your pie looks great! my peaches don't sit around long enough for me to even think about peach pie!

Mark and Lachelle said...

How about you make another one of those delicious pies, and send one my way?! ;)

Sam and Kristol said...

Thanks for the recipe. That was the best peach pie I have ever eaten. The pictures don't do it justice. It was a beautiful and delicious!

Kinley said...

can you say yum? But I am with you on pumpkin containing goodies, I am an addict! Honestly by the time Christmas comes I have an orange glow about me! Hee Hee- I am not kidding!

Beth said...

I love Peaches too. We have two peach trees and I've been pealing and freezing peaches for the last few weeks. Feel free to come by and pick some. Your peach pie looks great! I may have to make myself one.