Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rubio's fish tacos


We're big fans of Rubio's 'round these parts-- especially the fish tacos. Strange considering I don't typically enjoy fish, although battering and frying it is likely the the key to my fondness.

When Sean went gluten free I felt sorry he could no longer order fish tacos. A few weeks ago I was craving them so I looked for copy cat recipes online. I figured since so many things are battered in rice flour, it might just work for fish tacos.

I found a recipe that looked pretty good and got good reviews so we tried them out. Success!!! They were SO easy to make and more important, delicious. They seriously tasted just like the real thing. Anyway, I wanted to share the recipe in case anyone else wants to try it. Sorry my picture isn't great-- I'm no food blogger!

Here is the recipe with my notes:

Fish Tacos Recipe

  • 11 pieces of “taco sized” (1-2 ounce) Pollock (any mild tasting fish such as cod fits the bill, mess around with any kind of fish you want)
  • 11 corn tortillas (if you get flour, you’ll be sorry)
  • Plenty of vegetable oil (enough to douse the fish completely in your fryer)
  • 1 Cup flour (I used a gluten free blend)
  • 1 Cup of a dark beer (I used Ginger Ale with great results)
  • Garlic powder to taste.
  • Black Pepper to taste.
  • 1 Cup of Rubio’s White Sauce (1/2 c. mayo mixed with 1/2 c. plain yogurt)
  • 3 Cups of shredded cabbage (the more finely shredded the better)
  • 3 medium tomatoes diced
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 1 cup of chopped cilantro
  • About ½ a cup Lime juice, fresh limes will taste much better, about 2 will suffice

Cooking instructions

  1. Mix together your flour, garlic, and pepper in a bowl. Stir thoroughly and then add in the dark beer. After it is mixed more or less uniformly, let this settle at room temperature for an hour. (I did not wait a full hour and mine turned out fine)
  2. In the meantime, clean your fish. This helps with the “fishy” taste especially if you don’t have the freshest fish. Use a bit of lime juice and salt water when washing. (I just ran my fish under the tap)
  3. Also in the meantime, you can warm up your oil to 375 degrees. Be careful not to overheat the oil.
  4. After the hour is over whisk the batter vigorously. Doing this will give your fish a lighter crispier taste on the outside and that distinctive Rubio’s texture.
  5. Dip the fish into the batter and cover all sides. Then quickly dunk the fish into the hot oil. Leave it in there until it is golden brown. You may need to turn the fish once or twice to help it cook evenly, depending on your fryer.
  6. Next make the pico de gallo salsa. Dice your tomato and onion and chop that cilantro, then just mix it all together.
  7. To assemble: Put fish in center of tortilla and drizzle with white sauce. Spoon on some pico de gallo and a small handful of shredded cabbage. Squeeze some fresh lime juice over the top. Fold in half and enjoy!
Original recipe here.

1 comment:

Mark and Lachelle said...

I LOVE fish tacos! Although, I've never tried Rubio's fish tacos. But I'll have to give that recipe a try!