Monday, January 24, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

I have heard a lot of good things about Bountiful Baskets and this week I finally decided to give it a try. If you don't know what I am talking about, it is a food co-op for produce. You sign up online on Monday and pick up your produce Saturday morning at whichever location you chose. I think it is available in several states now. The cost is $15 and you don't know ahead of time what you will be getting in your "basket." I had heard you get quite a bit of stuff and some people like to split it with a friend.

I was pretty excited and didn't really know what to expect. Here is what we got:

I was SO happy with everything! And I thought it was really fun being surprised!

We got: 1 lb. asparagus, 8 pears, 8 Roma tomatoes, 2 crowns broccoli, 1 pineapple, 3 grapefruit, 9 lemons, 10 bananas, green leaf lettuce, purple kale, 6 Fuji apples, and 6 anaheim peppers.

Pretty good for $15! Especially considering the price of asparagus right now. I am happy because the quality is great and we will use all of it! It is a lot of stuff for a family of three, but I think signing up every other week will be about perfect for us.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool and thought I'd pass the info along. Here's the Web site if interested: http://www4.bountifulbaskets.org/?page_id=233

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Yes! I love Bountiful Baskets. I was so happy when I found out our area has them (because we are seriously in the middle of the desert...I drive 20 minutes to get groceries). What are you going to do with your anaheim peppers? I still haven't used mine that I got from the basket last Saturday. Help!

Mark and Lachelle said...

Bountiful Baskets is awesome! My sister told me all about them. It's a lot of stuff for small families, but such a great deal!
Although, I will say that sometimes you get foods, that you have NO idea what to do with. HA! I'd say you got a good variety for your first time!

Jenny Ricks said...

Nicole, we eat so many quesadillas in our house that I figured I would just roast up the peppers, peel them, and use them in those! I have used anaheim peppers in chili verde before and they were delicious!