Monday, November 6, 2017

New York City girls trip

At the beginning of October I took a girls trip with my mom, sister, and niece to New York City. We had been talking about wanting to go somewhere for a long time and I am so glad we made it happen! I realized before I left that this was the first time I was going on a trip all alone without either Sean or the kids with me. I've taken vacations with just Sean, and a few trips to Idaho with just the kids, but never anywhere solo. It was definitely time! I knew I would miss my family, but I told Sean how I was looking forward to just having to look after myself for a few days and not having to carry anyone or have everyone pile stuff into my purse! haha! 

Our flight to NYC was delayed, but not too bad since it was a direct flight and was only about an hour behind. After a long cab ride to our hotel (we stayed at the Pearl Hotel, which I highly recommend), we set right out to explore the city. I have been to New York a few times before, but it had been almost 10 years since the last time I visited. 

We headed to the flat iron district to go to a place called "The Smith" for dinner. It was a great way to start the trip. Our food was SO good.


After dinner, we walked over to Eataly. It's Mario Batali's Italian market and it was awesome. Eye candy in food form everywhere. I loved looking at all of the different cheeses, salamis, fresh pastas, fruits, and vegetables. They even had an entire cafe dedicated to Nutella!


Look at the selection of mushrooms alone!

Times square on our walk back to the hotel. 

Day 2:

The next morning we headed to Top of the Rock. I've been to the top of the Empire State before, but this was new for me. I loved it because the line wasn't very long and the views were incredible! The communications nerd in me loved being at NBC's headquarters and hearing the history behind Rockefeller Center.





After Top of the Rock we did some shopping. We stopped in St. Patrick's Cathedral to look around and actually caught part of a service going on. The interior was beautiful!

In front of the Plaza Hotel after a little shopping at Zara.

We ate lunch/brunch at Sarabeth's across from Central Park. It was such a cute place a fun atmosphere.


Next, it was off to Dylan's Candy Bar, which was so much fun. 
I knew this would be the perfect place to pick up something to take home to the kids. I made them each their own pail of candy with things I knew they would love like rock candy and giant gummy bears. I was excited to pick up some of my favorite treats like watermelon licorice and gummy bears in awesome flavors like pineapple for our Broadway show that night. 

After the candy store we decided to give our feet a break and tour Central Park by pedicab. Emily and Hayley were in one, and my mom and I in the other. 


Our drivers were awesome and fun to talk to. They gave us a good history on the park and it was fun having them point out where different movies were filmed and where celebrities live.

Bethesda Fountain

We totally scored with the weather on our trip. It was beautiful fall weather the entire time we were there!


After Central Park we walked to see the temple. It love seeing the temple in the middle of the bustling city. 


Before Lion King we ate at a family-style Italian place called Carmines. It was SO good! 

Waiting for the show to start.

The Lion King was amazing! The costumes and talent were unreal. 

Day 3:

The next morning we headed to the 9/11 museum. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it was very powerful and sobering. Definitely a moving experience that gave me deeper insight into what happened and personified the people who lost their lives.


It is amazing to me that this looks like a modern art sculpture, but is really a bent steel beam from one of the fallen towers. 

This was part of the very top of one of the towers.


As heavy as the interior of the museum was at times, I really loved this exterior waterfall/fountain. It was massive and beautiful. 

We lightened things up with lunch at a really fun place called Black Tap. It is known for its burgers and over-the-top shakes. We ordered two to split and they were quite the masterpieces! The cookies and cream had an entire ice cream sandwich on top! My burger was also one of the best I've ever had.


Our next stop was the Tenement Museum. This sign sort of explains what it is:


It was cool learning about a few of the immigrant families who lived in this building and getting a glimpse of what their daily life was like. I actually wish I could have heard more stories of people who lived there. The coolest part about the museum for me was the fact that it was still basically in the exact same condition it was when it was vacated over a hundred years ago. I love seeing things in original, unrestored form. 

Next, we moved on to the Staten Island Ferry. I love the view of the city from the back of the ferry and the view of the Statue of Liberty. 



My pretty mom. 


And my pretty niece :)

From the ferry we took quite the walk to the Brooklyn Bridge. I love this bridge. I have always thought it was so beautiful. We decided to walk across it into Brooklyn for dinner. 

The Ricks name was representing on the bridge! 


I am so glad we walked across at night. The view of the city was so awesome!



When we finally made it to Brooklyn, we were definitely hungry and headed to Juliana's Pizza. It was highly recommended by a few people, and with good reason. It was delicious! Apparently, the owners of Juliana's are the original owners of Grimaldi's (which happened to be located right next door!).

Day 4:

On our last day in New York we headed to Chelsea Market. I had never been here but always wanted to go. I love places like this!

I love the fun little shops and all of the food vendors!



mmm... mini donuts from the Doughnuttery 

One of my favorite meals of the trip came from this little place in Chelsea Market. I watched as they prepared fresh noodles for my lunch by pulling them and snapping them, etc. It was so cool to watch!


After lunch we walked the High Line, which is an old railroad track that has been converted into a trail though the city. 

We finished the trip with a stop at Carlo's Bake Shop before heading to the airport. I got what they call a "lobster tail" and I still think about how good it was! We definitely ate well on our trip. 

I left New York with a deeper love of the city. I always loved visiting, but I REALLY loved it and appreciated it this time. The diversity, food, sights-- all of it. I don't know if it is because I am in a different place in life than I was last time I visited almost 10 years ago, or what. I wasn't nervous or scared of finding my way around and wasn't intimidated by the subway, etc. I guess a perk of growing up for me is finding confidence in myself. I think having kids has helped also, since they naturally look to their parents to lead them. 

Unfortunately, our flight home was a bit of a mess. Our flight was delayed because apparently our plane was too heavy. Instead of being a non-stop flight to SLC they made us make a stop in Des Moines to refuel. With all of the added delays, it added about 4 extra hours of travel time-- most of that spent sitting on the plane. In the end we finally made it home and despite it all, it was worth it for a chance to spend a fun weekend in the big apple with my mom, sister, and niece!

No comments: