Sunday, March 13, 2022

Mexico City: Days 3 and 4

We discovered our Airbnb had a rooftop terrace that was so awesome! We used it to each breakfast each morning. We had an awesome little cafe right by us that had the best food! I got these fruit/granola/smoothie cups that I am still dreaming about.


After breakfast we headed to the Frida Kahlo house/museum. It was fun learning more about her. I honestly didn't know very much, but her house was really cool and it was neat seeing some of her artwork and clothing. Everything was so colorful and I loved the inner courtyard.





Frida's paints






After getting Covid tests done at a little office nearby (required for our flights home), we went and checked out a huge indoor market that was across the street. I love places like this with all of the vendors, colors, foods, etc. We ate lunch at one of the booths and I loved my tacos.







Another beautiful, manicured park outside the market.

From the market we headed to check out the Castle de Chapultepec. Unfortunately, it was closed earlier than posted online so we had to wait for the following day to visit. We walked around the park and down the main avenue to go check out the famous angel statue. We passed by some of the decorations from Day of the Dead that were still up.









Emily made dinner reservations for us that night at a place called "Rosetta," which makes all sorts of lists, including one for the best Latin American restaurants. It was funny because we walked in and saw some of the women who were in our tour group from Teotihuicán! We enjoyed our food and felt adventurous eating ant butter on bread for one of our appetizers.




On our walk home from dinner we passed by this very pink, flowery shop and grabbed dessert.

Day 4

We had to take a picture in front of our wolf painted on our airbnb building on our final day in Mexico City. From there we headed back to the Castle de Chapultepec.


The castle and castle grounds were beautiful! I was surprised at how big and ornate it was and enjoyed looking at the artifacts.









This little box was smaller than a deck of cards and the carving on it was insanely ornate.



The views of the city from the balcony were pretty awesome on all sides of the castle.






There were food vendors with carts full of stuff just like this all over the city. Chicharrones bigger than I had ever seen in my life. Sean was a little more adventurous and bought a hunk of tamarind covered in some sort of red powder and a cup of chips covered in lime juice and hot sauce. 

We made one more stop at our favorite little cafe for lunch and had some very delicious enchiladas before heading to the airport to catch our flight home. 



Mexico City really surprised me. I think I was a bit hesitant to go because all I knew about it was that it was huge and used to be the biggest city in the world. I thought it might be dirty or scary, and the opposite was actually true. I was actually so impressed with how clean the city was. There were people out sweeping and scrubbing the sidewalks daily, there were beautiful flowers and tree lined streets everywhere. The parks were beautiful and well maintained, and I saw lots of families out and about. The food was awesome, the culture and color was abundant, and I would love to return there again someday.

No comments: