Saturday, March 11, 2023

Pumpkins

Our pumpkin patch didn't produce as many pumpkins this year, but we did get some! I learned near the end of the growing season that we had snails eating the pumpkins and we lost a bunch that way. I swear, between squash bugs and snails, it's a miracle we got any. I keep growing them because despite all the set backs, they still make me so happy. We did successfully grow a pink pumpkin this year for the first time!






What is hilarious to me is that mid summer I noticed a plant growing in our front planter box and realized it was a pumpkin! We didn't plant any pumpkins up there, but this plant got HUGE and took over everything. It got started pretty late in the season, so there wasn't a lot of time for pumpkins to grow, but we did get one huge green one we picked just before Halloween. It's so funny to me that the pumpkin we didn't plant ended up being the healthiest plant. I think what might have happened is a seed blew into the planter bed from Bode's carved pumpkin at Halloween. His pumpkin looked like it was throwing up seeds, and the plant started right near where his pumpkin was on the steps. Wherever it came from, we loved having one big green pumpkin to carve into a Frankenstein at Halloween!




No comments: