Sunday, August 29, 2010

Chili Verde

I had a bunch of tomatillos and peppers from the garden I wanted to use. After searching online I found this recipe from Food Network.com for pork chili verde that I wanted to try.

I knew it was going to make a ton so we invited some friends over for dinner. I was kind of nervous because I had never made it before and had no idea how spicy it would be. The recipe calls for a lot of peppers and I kept envisioning our friends eating it as a courtesy while secretly dying of fire! ;)

I am not going to lie, this was not a quick and easy meal to make, but I am SO glad I did. It was delicious! And good thing too, because if it hadn't turned out I wouldn't have been very happy at the big stack of dirty dishes I accumulated while making it.

We used the chili verde in burritos with sour cream, cheese, guacamole, etc. It was SO good. The pork was way tender and the sauce was so yummy and surprisingly mild (I took out most of the ribs and seeds of the peppers). We still had some left so I froze the rest and can't wait to eat it again on a night when we need a quick dinner.

If you have the time and the energy, I HIGHLY recommend this recipe. I think it is worth the work!

P.S. I served it with this rice from my friend Rachelle's awesome cooking blog. It is the easiest rice in the world to make and a favorite in our house. Thanks for the recipe Rachelle :)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

yum! but i so don't have energy to spend that much time in the kitchen. I was looking for tomatillos the other day and couldn't find any, guess i should have called you!

Heidi said...

I have the same pile of ingredients on my counter... so give the that recipe if you love me :)

Jenn said...

Great looking chili, love it from fresh ingredients.

Jenn
http://www.momentsofelegance.com

Mark and Lachelle said...

Ok, I have a butt load of tomatillos that I don't know what to do with! Gonna have to try this!