Monday, July 10, 2017

Jackson Hole

Our good friends, the Ogdens, came to visit a couple of months ago. Kristol mentioned their family was going to take a trip to Jackson Hole so she could run the Jackson Hole Half Marathon and she invited us to come. I had been training for the American Fork Canyon Half Marathon which was just two weeks after the Jackson Hole Half, and I thought it sounded like so much fun! Since Sam and Kristol moved to Wyoming, we don't get to see them nearly as often as we'd like. I figured since I was already training, this was a good way to still get to go on vacation, see some friends, and still get a long run in (even though it was actually a half). I was also excited about doing a race outside of Utah. I've run a few different ones here, but never anywhere out of state. 

Our family headed for Jackson on Friday afternoon. We didn't have a lot of time to do much that night, but we did go out to a pizza for some carb loading. :)

I was worried about the weather because it rained all Friday night. It was still raining when I woke up the next morning, but thankfully it stopped before the race began. Even though the rain stopped, it was SO cold. Literally probably in the 30s once you factored in the wind chill. We had to wait for about an hour in the cold and wind at the race start. With all of my shivering I was afraid I wouldn't have any energy left to run!

Waiting for the race to begin:

Even when the race started it took me a good 4 or 5 miles before my hands and feet were no longer numb and the first few miles I felt so weird running. Eventually I was able to settle in and warmed up. The course itself was really pretty and I loved running across the huge bridge across the Snake River. Unfortunately the clouds prevented a view of the Tetons, but thankfully I have seen them many times before.

I finished the race in 1:55. I was happy with that time considering I sort of went into this course blind and it was less than ideal running conditions. It was also 2000+ feet higher in altitude than what I am used to running, but I actually didn't notice much of a difference so I am glad. The course was mostly flat in the beginning and then there were some hills in the last half. Even with the weather, I am really glad I ran it and it was a lot of fun being somewhere new.  Plus, the finishers medal is probably my favorite medal to date!

After the race we went back to our hotels and showered and checked out. We met up with the Ogdens and went out to lunch and walked around the main square. The kids were fascinated with this little squirrel who kept popping up to look at them.

When in Jackson, you've got to take a picture with the antlers!

We also took the kids to the candy store, which they loved. I came here often with my family also, and it is one of the places I always think of when I think of Jackson Hole.

After the candy store we headed out of Jackson for Island Park, where we were meeting my parents and staying at their cabin for a couple of days. We took the back way in through Yellowstone, which I loved because I can't recall ever going through the park from that entrance. Just before Colter Bay we actually saw a mama grizzly bear and her two cubs! We pulled over and watched them for a long time. The cubs were really cute and playful and were sleeping on their mom's back at one point. Sean and I were glad we had our binoculars, but sad we had forgotten our nicer cameras at home!

Lots of buffalo near the elk meadows in Yellowstone. 

We had a great time at the cabin. The boys of course wanted to ride four wheelers as much as possible. We rode to a little pond nearby and enjoyed the fields full of these white wild flowers.

While at the pond we heard what we thought was some sort of big animal that sounded like it was trying to push over a tree or was digging at the roots or something. I told the boys to run to the four wheelers and we got out of there quick! I was worried it was a bear. We actually just got back from another trip to the cabin, and this time while we were at the pond I heard the same noise and realize it was coming from some sort of pump or something on the opposite shore. Haha!

Ice cream at the Eagle Store

Quick stop at Howard Springs

No comments: