Friday, September 28, 2018

Big Cottonwood Canyon Half Marathon

I've been training hard over the summer to run my first full marathon that is coming up the first weekend in October. For part of my training, I ran the Big Cottonwood Half Marathon a few weeks ago. To be honest, I really didn't put much thought into this race. I have been so focused on St. George and building up distance, I didn't work much on speed. I wanted to run this race to test out things like what and when to eat during the marathon, and see how my watches, headphones worked, etc. The week of Big Cottonwood was a kick back week for long runs so it worked out perfectly. I had a lot of running friends running it also, and we just treated it as our long run for the week!

At the beginning of the race I felt a little sluggish. I hate the beginning of races and trying to dodge everyone and get in a groove. At mile two I was already thinking it wasn't going to be a great race and figured I shouldn't push too hard. After a few miles though, I actually felt much better and was running a pretty decent pace (for me). As the miles went by, I was able to maintain it and kept doing the math in my head and realized I had a shot of getting close to or beating my best time. 

Got to love those race pics! ;)

After coming out of the canyon, my legs were pretty shot from the downhill. I was able to keep a decent pace for the last few miles to the finish and I was so excited when I crossed the finish line and saw I had just PR'ed. I beat my previous best by two minutes! It felt really good and was a surprise.



Bode had a lacrosse game that morning, but the rest of the family came to support me at the finish line. I love so much that they are there, even thought it isn't easy! My favorite part is always seeing their faces as I go through the chute.

Group shot at the finish! These girls (and Bill!) are so awesome and I am lucky to have a group to run with. 

No comments: