Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Huckleberry picking

The weekend we went up to Idaho Falls to pick up Charlie, we also went huckleberry picking with John and Sylvia. My mom and Remi also came, which was a lot of fun. We went picking above Kelly Canyon and lucky for us, there were lots of ripe berries!

The scenery was beautiful and it was such a nice change from the crazy hot summer we were experiencing in Utah. It felt totally pleasant in the shade, and I was convinced I could stay there all day, perfectly content to pick huckleberries. The kids were into it also, which made it a lot of fun (well, Davis lost interest fairly fast, but was entertained watching a movie in the back of John and Sylvia's Jeep).


Some of the huckleberries were as big as blueberries!






We got quite the haul and they are so yummy! We made homemade huckleberry ice cream, and I've made raspberry huckleberry jam. I'm excited to make huckleberry pancakes and find other uses for them. 

It really ended up being one of my very favorite days of the entire summer. It was one of those days where you just feel happy and content and everything seems just right. I'm already looking forward to next time!

No comments: