Saturday, January 25, 2020

Playing hooky

Jackson has a 5th grade ski pass this year that gets him two free passes to all ski resorts in Utah, plus half off of an adult pass. We decided to take advantage and go check out Alta for the first time after a very snowy couple of days last week. I have been dreaming of a really good powder day since my last at Targhee last year, and I definitely got my wish!

I rearranged my calendar, Sean agreed to work from home, and I let Jackson and Bode skip school so we could go. I had checked the snow report that morning and saw there were 6 new inches of snow and was so excited. By the time we got to Alta, it was updated to 8" and it was still snowing like crazy.

Riding the lift up for our first run, we couldn't believe all of the powder below us! It was SUCH a fun day. It was probably the deepest powder day I have ever skied that I can recall. It snowed another 3" while we were there, for a total of 11 new inches. This was on top of 40" from the previous 48 hours, so there were spots that were past my knees and up to the boys' butts! It was awesome trying out my new powder skis I got this year.




I am so happy we had this day together. It was nice shrugging off all of our responsibilities for once and just going and playing! The boys were so much fun to ski with. They had no trouble skiing black diamonds and we all kept talking about how lucky we felt with all of the new snow. It was fun trying a new resort together and we all decided we are big fans. The snow was so deep that if you lost a ski, there was a good chance you weren't going to be able to find it. Bode lost his ski once and it was a tense few minutes while we were searching for it! I told the boys to keep their pole straps around their wrists!



Around 2:45 Bode's legs were getting pretty tired and we were going to call it a day. We had been skiing hard all day with only a short break for lunch. We learned after getting everything loaded up that the canyon road was closed for another hour so we couldn't head home yet. Jackson actually asked if he and I could go back out to ski and it made me so happy he wanted to! He and I got all of our gear back on and took another run together. It actually ended up being one of my very favorite runs of the day and I am so happy he wanted to go. This was a day I will remember fondly forever!

No comments: