Saturday, March 8, 2008

Moment of Truth (or acting?)

So have you seen the ads on T.V. for this new show on FOX called "The Moment of Truth"? It's the one where contestants answer questions while strapped to a lie detector to determine whether or not they are telling the truth. Apparently the questions get harder (a.k.a. more scandalous) as you go. We have not actually seen the show, nor plan to. In fact every time we see the stupid ad for it we re-emphasize just how awful it looks. The show is a shining example of how low T.V. execs will go to shock an audience. It's also an example of people's pleasure in seeing other people's dirty laundry exposed. Seriously, what are you really getting out of the type of show that asks one of the contestants, "Have you ever cheated on your wife with one of her friends?" I can't even imagine the warm, fuzzy feelings you'd feel after watching an entire episode. I feel like I need to shower after seeing a preview!

Apparently this show is a spin off of others from around the world that have been very successful. Get this: Colombia had to cancel its version of the show after a contestant won $25,000 after admitting she had hired a hit man to kill her husband. Sounds like a stellar person to be rewarding with prize money.

We did hear about an episode here in the US where a woman "confessed" she wished she were married to her ex-boyfriend instead of her husband while (gasp!) the husband sat dumbfounded in the audience. Well, turns out these two really had been a couple, but were on the outs way before the show and agreed to do the show for money. So... it was acting. Sean later discovered this same woman lost all of the money she had "won" when she answered "Do you think you are a good person?" with "yes" and the lie detector said she was lying. Haha! Hope the humiliation was worth all that money you made... oh wait, you went home a loser-- same way you came in.

Stepping off the soapbox now.

3 comments:

Cassi said...

Your post is exactly how I feel about that show. I don't think I have more hate towards anything as I do towards that show and I, like you, have only seen the previews. I really hope it doesn't go another season.

Mark and Lachelle said...

I'll be honest, I have watched a few episodes of the show because I was curious. The first episodes I saw weren't bad. It was a beauty pagent girl that got lame questions like "Have you ever sabotaged another pageant contestant" blah blah blah. However, the last episode I watched was the one with the lady on your blog that you were talking about. Her questions were horrible! The worst question was "Since you've been married, have you had sexual relations with someone other than your husband?" Her answer was yes, and she was telling the truth! I laughed when she lost all her money on the "Do you think you're a good person" question. The host did a disclaimer before the show started and said that he didn't want the episode to even air because he thought it was so horrible! That was the last episode I've watched. Pretty much, if you want to win a quick buck AND break up your marriage...then this show is for you!

Cecily said...

Good to see you in the blogosphere! Thanks for stopping by! BTW, I love your background.

I hate The Moment of Truth too. It's awful, and I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you need a shower after just the preview! It really disgusts me.