Sunday, July 10, 2011

The saying is true...

Passing a kidney stone is worse than labor. Unfortunately I can now verify this statement!

This past Wednesday I started getting a dull ache in my lower-right abdomen. I didn't think much of it at first, but the pain started rapidly getting worse. Within less than 30 minutes I was doubled over, throwing up and pretty much feeling like I was going to die.

My poor mom. It just so happened I was in Idaho Falls for the week hanging out with her with intentions to help her babysit my sister's three kids while they were in California. When the pain became unbearable, I knew I had to go get checked out. I dumped my two kids on my mom while my aunt drove me to the emergency room. So now my mom was responsible for five kids under the age of seven... one being a nursing two-month old!

My aunt was a saint and I am beyond grateful she was able to help. The emergency room was fairly busy and I was pretty much in agony while waiting. The pain truly was crippling. The best word I can think of to describe it is maddening because it is unrelenting. I couldn't sit down, nor could I stand up straight. I had to bend over and brace myself on the chairs. I had the privilege of throwing up in a bucket several times for all to see. I heard the people around me starting to place bets as to what they thought was wrong with me. So glad I was the waiting room entertainment! Seriously, I left that place with zero pride.

I didn't end up having to wait too long and my aunt told me my why later. Apparently the nurse came out and called another man's name to be seen. He asked the nurse to please let me be seen first. I don't know who this man was, but I am so grateful for his selflessness. I hope he scored some major points upstairs-- he is my hero!

After some testing and an IV (and asking the nurse to please knock me out with a baseball bat) they gave me morphine. All I can say is hallelujah for modern medicine. Within about 15 minutes I was no longer in pain. In fact, I ended up taking a nap while we waited for test results to come back. All signs pointed to a kidney stone (which we knew I had because of the CT scan I had a few months ago). I declined the option of getting a CT to see where the stone was and how big it was, so they gave me another dose of morphine, wrote me a prescription and sent me on my way. My mom has some great neighbors and friends who were able to watch the kids long enough for her to come pick me up.

Apparently a stone usually passes anywhere from 2-48 hours. Lucky for me, mine passed within about a half hour of coming home. The entire ordeal lasted less than five hours. I know I am extremely lucky (blessed). By the next morning I was completely back to normal and it was like the whole thing never happened. I know I have more kidney stones, but I hope they decide to stay put rather than make the trek any time soon!


Kinley said...

Oh my heck! It's not like you didn't just go through labor! So sorry! But it was probably nice to have you mom around anyway!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

I am SO sorry! I never want to have to endure that pain...terrible! I am so glad to hear that man let you go ahead of him, that is seriously amazing. Glad you are all better now and that circumstances worked out that you had the help you needed!

Mark and Lachelle said...

Ugh!! I can't even imagine! I hear they are awful! Glad yours passed fairly quickly. And thank you morphine!! Does wonders!!

Cassi said...

I too know the pain of those blasted little stones. Its really unbelievable how tiny those things are and yet how much pain they can really induce! So sorry to hear you had to go through it but super glad its all over!

Chelsey said...

Sorry Jenny, not fun at all!